Re: Tools: Index palette in InDesign CS

Subject: Re: Tools: Index palette in InDesign CS
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:43:06 -0500

InDesign CS:
> So far as I can tell from the online help and the options available
> in the menus, the only way to gain access to and reuse index terms
> and topics created in a different chapter of a multi-chapter book is
> to hold all the chapter files open simultaneously. Is this correct,
> or am I missing something (in)obvious? Seems like a bit of a loony
> design choice, but...
Hi, Geoff:

Have you looked at the Import Topics option on the Index palette's "fly-out" menu? It imports topics from files on the disk.

CS is now two versions behind the just-announced CS3. It's got greatly-improved book tools. Check out the announcement at

Also, Adobe has user-to-user forums for InDesign; one for Macintosh, one for Windows, that you may find to be good resources.

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit