"Standard" browsers; was: RE: Standard WinHelp vs. WinHelp 2000

Subject: "Standard" browsers; was: RE: Standard WinHelp vs. WinHelp 2000
From: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:39:26 -0600

Sean Brierly observed:

"We have trouble getting all our customers to use one approved version of
a single browser, so getting them individually to download and install
the patch from Microsoft is unlikely to succeed. Maybe your customers
are better."

I respectfully take issue with this attitude on the part of so many
companies, who seek to dictate what browser people use.

I also have a hearty dislike for folks who produce browser-specific
sites, using non-standard functionality of a browser...usually IE.

I think it is far better to create resources that follow the W3C
standard requirements for compatibility. That way, people can keep
up-to-date browsers of their choice.

By specifying "one approved version" you place yourself in the
unenviable position of liability for security lapses in the "one
approved" version after they have been identified and fixed with a
subsequent patch and version upgrade, for example.

If you want a particular set of features that are not present in a
standards-compliant browser, I think you should ship it as a part of
your application set. Build your own tool, and you no longer can
complain of those who don't happen to agree with you.

David