Re: Actual Site Stats - Firefox 2 versus IE 7

Subject: Re: Actual Site Stats - Firefox 2 versus IE 7
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:53:06 -0400

> For HTML people - have TABLE background white and the like but the
> background is showing through on Firefox.

I think the problem is that there are divs insides tables inside divs.
Firefox interprets the tags in such a way that tables are
"split"...that is, each table is independent. As a result, the white
table background for one table is not carrying into the next.

IE, on the other hand, doesn't always interpret standards correctly,
and this looks to be another case...as a result, the tables are
"merging" and the white background carries through.

I'd be willing to bet that Safari users on a Mac will see something
similar to what Firefox users on Windows see.

> Have CSS and use DIVs.
>
> If a Firefoxer knows what is wrong - send and will fix within 48 hours.

Actually, I'm answering as an HTML/CSS expert (not just a Firefox
user)...and the easiest fix would be to lose the tables, and use only
CSS and divs for the layout. (You're already partway there.) Your
content div (the one on the right) could use just paragraphs, with
maybe one table for the three side-by-side graphics. But this isn't
necessarily a quick fix...it will take time to make sure that
everything is OK, because a lot of code needs to be stripped.

BTW, the W3C HTML Validator lists several errors that may also be
causing problems. And the CSS validator shows issues with IE-specific
attributes and class naming errors (for example, h2.18 isn't legal
because the class uses only numbers...class names have to start with a
letter). There are also background color warnings (either a color has
been set with no background, or vice-versa).

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquires sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2006-2007 Microsoft Help MVP
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com