Re: Tech Writing a Growing Field?

Subject: Re: Tech Writing a Growing Field?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:18:54 -0700

In the industries where I do most of my work (aircraft
and other manufacturing), the trend I think I'm seeing
is back in the direction things were in during my
engineering years, greater emphasis on communications
skills in developers and smaller staffs of technical
writers (with a greater emphasis on technical background
and experience).organizing and managing input from
developers, with periodic temporary hiring of
nontechnical writers and editors during crunch times.

If you're a current or former engineer who can write,
a writer with a secondary technical background or
a writer with a nontechnical background but years of
experience documenting a particular industry or
technology, IMO prospects for future growth look
pretty good, but I think the dot.com days of hiring
people with unspecialized writing skills and spoon-
feeding them technical input are unlikely to return.
What that means as far as "our profession" growing
or not I couldn't say, because I don't know how the
current "numbers" divide up between these categories.

Gene Kim-Eng