Producing Acrobat files; was: OpenOffice.org

Subject: Producing Acrobat files; was: OpenOffice.org
From: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:14:50 -0500

Kevin McLaughlan explained:

"...This meant they needed Acrobat, so they have one license.
Sometimes the guy who "owns" that license is away, and it's a pain to
have them send the doc back to me just to make a PDF. So I suggested
that they install OpenOffice and use that. They're quite
pleased."

While I am also a fan of OpenOffice.org, you should be aware that
there are numerous *free* methods of producing Acrobat files in
addition to the capability in OpenOffice.

To me, Adobe seems to have priced itself out of that market for any
who don't need some of the advanced features not available elsewhere.

On my personal machine, I have Ghostscript/GSView installed--giving me
one Acrobat creation option. In case you are interested in a free
solution, you might take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostscript This article also includes a
number of free solutions based upon the Ghostscript interpreter.

David

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList