RE: Happy to be a Tech Writer?

Subject: RE: Happy to be a Tech Writer?
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:15:35 -0700

>Sean Hower said:
>
>Technical writing was a pretty sweet gig. Got to do a little writing and a
>little design. Built some help systems. Learned about some pretty cool
>stuff and got to play around with some pretty cool software.
>
>That said, I LOVE being an analyst. My current job really hits all of my
>interests and skillsets. It's a challenge too, which is great because there
>were times when technical writing was anything but a challenge.
>
>Would I go back to technical writing though? Heck yeah.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Lately, I've found that, as a tech writer, *I'm* the data repository. By
that I mean that I've recently accepted a dozen or so meeting invitations
for meetings that made me wonder why I was among the attendees. I sent an
email to my supervisor yesterday asking if I was invited because I was
accidentally included in a group list. His reply:

"I think you should attend since you're the only person who understands all
of the modules and how they interact with each other. You'll probably end
up leading the meeting. If you're not comfortable doing that, sit back and
let them jump in the pool without their water-wings."

I mention this because it made my entire week (on a Monday) and I've seen
other list members describe similar situations in which they have implicitly
been designated the 'go-to guy'...er...girl...person;^)

- Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList