RE: Graphic design

Subject: RE: Graphic design
From: Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: "Condo, Candis" <ccondo -at- c-cor -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 17:23:00 -0700 (PDT)

It is the case in my current job. It has been the case throughout my 30-odd year career dealing with several companies, including Microsoft. It is still the case in the world of advertising, book and magazine publishing.

When the publication has a marketing or advertising spin (it is attached to a product), it is still the creative director or art director who calls the shots on the visuals.

Joanne
"Condo, Candis" <ccondo -at- c-cor -dot- com> wrote:
Once upon a time (yes, this is a bedtime story) the job of the writer was to write. That has not been the case for most of us for over twenty years. The last time I was only a technical writer was back in 1982 when employed at Hewlett-Packard which had lots of money to throw at documentation, I had an artist, a photographer, a layout person and a print shop which took care of eveything while I wrote the user's guide. I was the person in charge of all those activities for my book, I coordinated the activities and I had the final say on the whole process but I did NOT do the whole process as is the case today. I did not do screen captures; I did not do the art or the photographics.

Where in the world do tech writers work where they only write?

Candis L Condo