Re: "Design" was Re: Tech Writing a Growing Field?

Subject: Re: "Design" was Re: Tech Writing a Growing Field?
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 06:32:21 -0700 (PDT)

Someone else on this thread pointed out that tech
writers, as those who experience the corporate
environment and production process as a whole more
than others, have a bird's eye view of how development
progresses. They are attuned to aspects of the product
and the process that do not intrude into the
specializations of others.

It seems we are saying very similar things, you and I
and that someone. Technical writers are those who must
make the product make sense in the end, so they are
also those who know along the way what inconsistencies
must be quashed. It seems to me that as software has
gotten more inconsistent, this role has become more
important, especially as project managers get more
deeply specialized into managing the project, not the
product, and marketing gets increasingly detached from
the complexities not just of the product but its
interaction with other technologies.

In other words, like all things, technical writing
changes over time, and it makes sense to look toward
the positive aspects of that change: being able to
take our personal knowledge repositories and apply
them during the process of development for the
betterment of the user(s). This is where user
advocacy, information design and technical writing
meet.

User Interface design blog
http://user-advocacy.blogspot.com/
Code::Design::UI::Consulting