Re: Your thoughts on punctuation?

Subject: Re: Your thoughts on punctuation?
From: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:27:45 -0500

Ladonna et al.--

I don't believe a period adds anything to the message, although on
that 20-character display I agree that capitals would be far easier to
read and thus be preferable.

Personally, I would vote for elipses after this sort of message. The
terminal elipsis indicates that something is missing or expected, I
think, making it a little less abrupt.

The user gets the impression thereby that something is actually
happening. Subtle, perhaps, but I think worthwhile.

If the code permits, you might even have a succession of periods show
up, one each few seconds. As the system works, the line of periods
extends. This is even better, IMHO, as it indicates progress behind
the scenes to the user and makes the waiting feel better. I'm sure you
are all familiar with this technique for installation programs, for
example. Using it here would seem to be an ideal opportunity to
decrease any impatience the user may feel when they get a terse
"calling server" or "please wait" or any number of other such
messages.

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

8:)

David

From: "Ladonna Weeks" <ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:53:27 -0500
Subject:
What is
correct punctuation for brief, informative statements, such as
the following:

(line 1) Calling server
(line 4) Please wait

Should there be a period after each statement?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList