RE: New position? - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Subject: RE: New position? - FEEDBACK NEEDED
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:12:44 -0400

On Behalf Of Dan Goldstein scribbled:

> Some people enjoy and excel at what they do, and don't want to be
> promoted to a position where they supervise others who don't do it as
> well.
>
> A smart company gives its best employees the professional training and
> academic studies that they want, in order to become even better at what
> they do.

There's truth in that, and the fact that I'm about to say "but" does not
negate any of it... but... what any company or organization really wants are
people who are problem-solvers. Your task, whoever you might be, is to be a
problem-solver in your niche.

Sometimes your niche is decided by you. Sometimes your niche is decided by
outside forces. Then we get that attitude thing in operation.

Attitude, and a fresh outlook on a situation can make attractive and
interesting what another person might regard as truly horrible. On the
other hand, if you just aren't ready for it, or if it is indeed just _too_
foreign to your nature, then there's not enough attitude in the world to
paper over the cracks. But at least, if you try, you find out.

And on the resume, or as a talking point at the next employment interview,
it doesn't have to look like - I tried a supervisory/management position for
a while at my last place, but I failed. Instead, it can be: "I was
recognized and selected for a supervisory/management position at the
previous company - if the project hadn't been axed, I might still be doing
that. For now I want to go with my acknowledged strengths at researching,
writing, editing; maybe later when I've settled in here and mastered the
product lines and business practices, we can see what turns up."

Spin is a form of attitude. :-)

Sometimes you use it on other people. Sometimes you use it on yourself.

Kevin

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList