RE: Re: Simply

Subject: RE: Re: Simply
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 09:50:26 +0800

Dan said:
> ... "You must" is often used in technical writing to draw
> the reader's attention to a step or sequence that's crucial,
> mandatory, or easily missed...

True. I think Yves was making the point that if you omit "You must" in
the many cases where it's not needed, it has more effect in the few
cases where it is needed.

Dan also said:
> I forgot to mention: The repeated use of "You must" in technical
> writing often indicates poor software or hardware design.

Yes. Computers are good at doing rote stuff! We should get them to do
the mandatory tasks, and leave the tasks that require human judgement to
people.

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList