Funky word problem

Subject: Funky word problem
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Van Boening, Tammy" <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- Fiserv -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 11:55:56 -0400

Tammy Van Boening wonders: <<I have a Word document that I have
divided into sections using the appropriate Section Break. The
section that occurs BEFORE the break is standard portrait pages with
"free text" - just plain old BodyText (the style) used. The section
that occurs AFTER the break is a landscape page and it contains a
link to an Excel document. Because this page is a landscape page, I
want to adjust the header and the footer to go across the entire
page... I click in the section where I want to make the change to the
Header/Footer, click View > Header/Footer and get the Header/Footer
toolbar. I click on the Link to Previous icon to break the connection
between the header and footer in the current section and in the
previous section and try to adjust the width of the table cells and
the document goes bonkers! It starts flashing - darn near like a
strobe light effect, my cursor appears/disappears, the table width
adjusts to the new width, then resets itself to the old width - looks
like a pinball machine in an arcade for all of the damned flashing/
readjusting of the table width that's going on.>>

Bet you a virtual donut you've discovered a problem with embedding
objects in Word. (There are others.) Best bet is probably to unembed
the spreadsheet, export it to Word as a Word table, and then try
fixing the headings. (Embedded objects don't work nearly as well as
they're supposed to.) Unfortunately, you then need to set up a
process for ensuring that changes to the spreadsheet are copied into
the Word document, but them's the (section) breaks.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/
home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList