Re: Trademark question

Subject: Re: Trademark question
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:58:28 -0700

This is exactly the issue. The classic case is the Otis Corporation's
creation of the word "escalator." A court eventually ruled that the
word "escalator" (lower case) had become a generically used term
for a moving stairway, and Otis lost it as a trademark (they still
have "Escalator"). Usage hinges primarily on risk, i.e., what are
the chances that your product name will become so ubiquitous that
people will come to call every similar product by that name? If
you look at Kleenex you will see that the usage is *always*
"Kleenex Brand tissue" or "KleenexTM tissue," never just "Kleenex,"
and never *ever* "kleenex." Same for the other examples where
the names are invented. OTOH, when you select existing common
terms for your product name ("word") your chances of being able
to register them are pretty slim, and MS apparently isn't terribly
worried that "Microsoft Word" or "Word 2003" are going to
become generic terms for word processing software.

Gene Kim-Eng