Re: Notepad; was: Re: Word editing question

Subject: Re: Notepad; was: Re: Word editing question
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:13:23 -0400

David Neeley wrote:
> My point was that Notepad is *not* the only pure text editor on the block.
> There are many others that are often far more capable in many ways and that
> are also free.

Very much so. Read on (religious tract follows)...

Some of us are very happy with emacs, which can handle a lot of
complicated manipulation of textual content, is good for writing
programs (and indeed has editing modes devoted to most programming
languages and to HTML), and is known for its horridly steep learning
curve. Emacs's command set even shows up outside of emacs, as in the
bash shell and underneath Framemaker, if you look at it slightly cross-eyed.

I have found or installed emacs on nearly every system I've used in the
past few decades, including Linux, Unix, MS Windows, Cygwin, and Prime.

Enthusiasts of emacs find they have little use for other text editors,
expecially notepad.

Emacs does not handle formatting in the MS Word sense. This is one of
its good features. It handles text as ASCII or UTF-8, or whatever, with
standard characters, not like MS Word's arcane internal codes. Want to
separate your huge text file into two files, one that is to hold every
paragraph that contains the word "frobnitz" and the other with those
that don't, but with added line numbers? Piece of cake. Yes, one could
write a Perl program to do that. But one (me, anyway) would use emacs to
edit the Perl program, so why not just do it all in emacs? It's about 90
seconds to write the "program" (a macro).

Oh, and emacs is extensible (you can customize the heck out of it),
free, and has all source code available. It was originally developed,
over 30 years ago, by the legendary Richard M. Stallman, who has not let
age get in the way of iconclasm.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList