RE: Distributing Word docs to customers

Subject: RE: Distributing Word docs to customers
From: "Steve Cavanaugh" <scavanaugh -at- nat-seattle -dot- com>
To: "Mary Arrotti" <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:27:27 -0700

The main issue I've had with Word files as a distribution medium is that
the screen format is dependent on the printer driver installed on the
viewing PC. So if your documents have tables of contents with page
numbers, they are going to be wrong if you deliver Word files. If you
deliver PDF, the pagination is based on the machine that created the
PDF, and it is locked in. We had problems with this submitting
documents to the FAA because they couldn't find things that were listed
in the TOC. Of course you can have much worse formatting problems
depending on the way the reading PC renders your document.

Steve Cavanaugh