Re: Forbes: 10 surprising 6-figure jobs

Subject: Re: Forbes: 10 surprising 6-figure jobs
From: "Jean Richardson" <jean -at- bjrcom -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 17:07:13 -0700

I should be clear that I am in Portland, Oregon where the cost of living is not what one might find in Silicon Valley. Which raises an interesting point related to the posting from Manhattan and the hype of the journalist regarding TW salaries (or salaries in any other field). 100K in one part of the country just isn't what it is in another. (On the other hand, maybe we should all move to the Rocky Mountain Chapter.) You can be far better off in Portland making 85K than you are in Manhattan or San Francisco making 30% more than that (particularly if your bought your house ten years ago). And, truth to tell, I've seen plenty of postings in Portland in the 40K range.

Oddly enough, I'm also one of those folks who has a history of cozying up to very high income. My feedback is that it isn't necessarily worth it unless your income is your identity. Usually there's a reason you're making that kind of income. You're not just smart, well-educated, and experienced, but you're relationship to your work is different than it might otherwise be. (I'm about to go into a work/life balance rant . . .) Suffice it to say that the wake up call for me came one day when I was in my home office watching my gardener do what I wished I was doing. That said, there is probably a time for that kind of orientation to work in most of our lives.

I completely concur with your last few sentences below, Gene. The pendulum is now at the other extreme. I'm not sure either extreme is good for the profession or the audience.

To the person who posted the link, unless you are drastically underpaid for your market, take the article with a grain of salt. Feature writing is a racket.

I've used up most of my cliches for the day, so--back to it.

-- Jean

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList