Re: re Interviewing Tech Writers

Subject: Re: re Interviewing Tech Writers
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "Des Rivieres, Lynne" <DesriL -at- parl -dot- gc -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:02:05 -0500

Ditto on going with you gut, however if you need something to back you up:

1) Did you review portfolio items? Was this person able to explain how the document was created, challenges, what they would do differently?
2) develop a writing/editing test--lots of archived discussion on this, but I believe it's a key part of identifying the right person.
3) who makes the final decision? If it's a joint decision, how does the colleague other than your boss view this candidate?
4) Suggest to your boss that a refusal to bend does NOT indicate problem-solving abilities--somebody who cannot adjust on the fly, adjust to the personality of the SME, or accomodate schedule changes will quickly find themselves with a pile of declined meeting invitations, no material, and probably a very large chip on her shoulder. That's not exactly an ability to solve problems and hardly gets you or your boss to where you need to go with the project,

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney