Getting Started with DITA

Subject: Getting Started with DITA
From: "Bob Doyle" <bobdoyle -at- skybuilders -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 16:41:18 -0400

Hi all,

We are building a web-hosted toolset to help people get started with
topic-based structured authoring.

Please see http://www.ditausers.org

We call it DITA from A to B (Authoring to Building).

The site also has extensive listings of fifty DITA Tools A-Z<http://../tools/>.

Members use the browser-based DITA Storm <http://www.ditastorm.com/> editor
to author structured content in a personal workspace on this website. You
don't have to install anything or know XML to begin writing single-source
topic-based content.

You can have multiple projects in your personal workspace. We have three
sample docsets.

Each project includes source files, build files, and output files. You
process your files to HTML, PDF, Help, and other publishing formats with the
DITA Open Toolkit <http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/> on our server.

You can download your deliverables. Or you can give your associates links to
your work on the website to demonstrate your new skills.

We are still in beta development and membership is free until we launch.
After that, annual individual membership will be $100USD/year. Active
members of STC, CM Pros, and OASIS can join for $50/year.

We are looking for adventurous tech writers who might help us to get these
learning tools working well.
http://www.ditausers.org/membership/how_to_join/

Cheers,

Bob.