Re: Commnicating with an audience of low literacy levels

Subject: Re: Commnicating with an audience of low literacy levels
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:12:09 -0700

>> Any time anybody has
>> spare books after their garage sale (or before), the
>> nearest prison will gladly accept them as a donation.
>> Spare time spent with inmates as a Literacy Volunteer can
>> improve a life and make society better.
>>

> Yes, but informed proactive policies and well-funded training
> for teachers and administrators in elementary, middle, and
> high schools can help to reduce the acts that lead to
> imprisonment, for less cost, and with better outcomes for
> everyone.

I think the OP's suggestion, that tech writers experience first-hand the
problems and rewards of tutoring the illiterate, and aiming for the
standard of 6th Grade Reading Level, has the seeds of a solution to many
problems.

After years of reading and discussion, I don't believe that anyone knows
how to fix US schools. More than half of my local high school's senior
class (of 1000+) last year didn't qualify for graduation, and that is an
awfully big deliverable blown.

So sorry, but face up to it, you can't fix that with policies, training,
and money. Leading education thinkers all advise home school. If you are
concerned about the problem of the schools but aren't the parent of a
school-aged child, I'm sure you could find some place to teach reading
skills, instead of waiting around for pie-in-the-sky funding and the
short bus to come around and pick up all the ones who fell through the
cracks on the last round.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList