RE: Why I need an Index

Subject: RE: Why I need an Index
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Kevin McGowan'" <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:04:01 -0700

Are all of your sections or chapters in one file? An index can cover
several sections or files that that produce one book. You might want to
point out that searching for a term does not mean that you will find the
term within the correct context as you do in an index. For example, the
term "print" may appear several places in a document and "report" may appear
in a section for generating a report and a section for printing a report.
How will a reader find the "report" sub-section "print" without and index?
How will a reader find a particular page for any term in a printed document
when document search is not possible? Are readers expected to always use a
live copy of the document? Any evidence of printed documents will expose a
fundamental flaw in "Ctrl-F."

Lauren