QUERY: tech writer interview

Subject: QUERY: tech writer interview
From: "heidi arnold" <heidi -dot- w -dot- arnold -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 19:24:24 -0400

Hi, Kay --

in interviewing candidates at my old job, one question i standardly used was
to ask them to describe a challenging project, how they addressed problems
that arose, i.e. how they resolved those problems, and what they learned
from the process, what they enjoyed about it -- i make clear that i expect
this question to be answered in detail

i like asking it because 1) it gives the candidate a chance to talk about
one of their successes in a previous job and 2) the kind of project they
choose to discuss tells something about their comfort level as far as
difficulty of work goes -- also, asking this same question, the same way of
all candidates, gives one part of a picture for comparing them

of course if they don't have great successes to discuss, that's something to
note, as well

my 2 cents

heidi

www.heidiarnold.org