Re: Reader Analysis

Subject: Re: Reader Analysis
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 17:56:25 -0400

baj357 -at- gmail -dot- com asked, "How do you obtain information about your readers? For example:
Do you observe your readers during certain tasks? Do you interview them? Do you talk to support? Other?

In a perfect world I would do all of the above and more. In reality, I can only communicate directly with a handful of our customers at a time. I do talk to Tech Support, Field Engineers, on-site Trainers, product Integrators, Sales and Marketing, and others who have regular contact with out customers. But, the nature of our industry causes our customers to be spread out around the world and not easily accessible.

To bridge that gap, I send out quarterly customer e-newsletters and we have occasional, targeted online or mailed surveys. Unfortunately, most of our users are not the ones who open the postal mail or receive email from us. But that's another issue for another day.

Of course, the best feedback I can get is happy phone support guys. If they aren't getting Stupid Questions as often, then something is working!

:)
Arroxane

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

Now shipping: Help & Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
to 106 languages with Help & Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com