The Edge of Greatness? (was "Errors")

Subject: The Edge of Greatness? (was "Errors")
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Dori Green <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:58:01 -0400

Dori Green wondered about the grammar of: <<LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE
PURSUIT OF ALL WHO THREATEN IT. Dang, I can't just enjoy stuff like
this any more. With all the resources of the US Navy couldn't they
have had an editor look at this before they slapped it up?>>

In fact, the only serious grammatical error is the "it" instead of
"them", but the rest works just fine: it's a play (albeit a seriously
cynical and misleading one) on Jefferson's famous "life, liberty, and
the pursuit of happiness". Yeah, the Navy should've hired an editor,
but unfortunately, we editors don't get no respect among the more
manly professions. <g>

<<Nobody else cares that it isn't LIFE. LIBERTY. AND THE PURSUIT OF
ALL WHO THREATEN THEM.>>

You edit, unfortunately, fixes one problem and introduces a couple
others. But as a substantive editor, I'd be far more concerned about
the message, which really doesn't work for me and is highly ethically
suspect. But now I'm treading on political ground, not technical
communication (other than in the sense that this message only works
for certain audiences -- a weak tie-in at best), so please direct all
flames off-list.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/
home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList