RE: InDesign vs. Frame

Subject: RE: InDesign vs. Frame
From: "Eric Thomas" <ethomas -at- ftdi -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:53:16 -0500

I use both InDesign and FrameMaker virtually every day. At this point, I
would not even consider long documents in InDesign. Although there are tons
of features that are similar/the same, I have to get in a different mindset
for each program. I don't consider this a bad thing. I have 500+ page
manuals in FrameMaker, and even small technical docs (25-50 pages), I'd
rather do in FrameMaker.

BUT... if anything is graphic intensive, or has even a slight amount of
"irregularity" about it (pictures that I want to wrap text around in a
creative way, lots of colors, etc.), I immediately think InDesign.

Granted, I also create online help from FrameMaker via ePublisher, so I
doubt it would even be an option for me to lay out an entire manual in
InDesign. I did do an 80 page Quick Reference Guide in InDesign, but I
hand-entered the TOC and index because those seemed counter-intuitive to me
in a page layout program. Those things are practically automatic in
FrameMaker.

Your mileage may vary, and I haven't looked at InDesign CS3 yet. So things
may have changed.