Re: Getting more than nits from reviews?

Subject: Re: Getting more than nits from reviews?
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:26:48 -0400

Well, this:

" If there are no copyedits for
reviewers to perform, they have no choice but to focus on the
content."

...has not been true for many places that I have worked.

I do a thorough copyedit, always, to make sure I have as few errors as
possible, but some people will still focus on the wording (or punctuation,
or grammar, or...). They will still want to change the wording, or argue
about comma placement. (And, yes, I send a cover letter that says "Please
review the content. All copy edits for grammar, punctuation, and word usage
are responsibility of the technical writer.")

My theory is that some people are either intimidated by the thought of
reviewing the technical part of the document, or are just intimidated by the
review process itself. After all, most people are not taught how to review
documents!

For those reviewers who won't--or can't--focus on the content in their area
of expertise, I schedule a meeting with them and go through the document
with them one-on-one. Then I can say, "okay, yeah, that needs to be fixed,
but don't worry about that. Let's get back to your technical expertise: is
this part (whatever) accurate technically?" That approach usually works, and
the next time a review is needed, they need less "help" from me.

So, there is no single, really simple answer to this problem. It really does
depend on the reviewers, the environment, and one's role (or status) in the
organization. Sometimes the approach has to be tailored to the reviewer to
work effectively.

That's my experience, anyway. That's and a buck might buy you half a cup of
coffee.
PT

On 5/23/07, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:

> Susan Hogarth wondered: <<I recently sent a rough draft around to a
> bunch of SMEs looking for substantive input, and they wasted their
> precious (and expensive) time copyediting it, while making no
> substantive contributions. I didn't know whether to be more
> humiliated or aggravated.>>
>
> I've found (in many contexts) that manuscripts should be copyedited
> _before_ being sent to reviewers. If there are no copyedits for
> reviewers to perform, they have no choice but to focus on the
> content. For a great many other thoughts on effective reviews, visit
> the Resources page of my Web site, follow the bibliography link, and
> search the page for the word "review". Several articles there that
> have attracted many favorable reviews <g> over the years.

> -- Geoff Hart
> ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
> www.geoff-hart.com
> Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/
> home/onscreen-book.htm)

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList