Technical writing for finance: one for the Friday files

Subject: Technical writing for finance: one for the Friday files
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 09:06:16 -0400

Ned Bedinger noted: <<Wow, nice save, Dan! It took me a second to
grasp the importance of defending our turf against these loosely-
focused insinuations that jargon and complexity are the key to tech
writing. There's destructive reductionism lurking out there, in all
of those alternative career paths where writing, even explanatory
instructional writing, is featured.>>

Hang on a second, guys. I never said anything of the sort. What I did
say is that there are a great many more professions than computer
documentation in which it's important to understand jargon and deal
with complexity, which is a very different thing. Biology and physics
and chemistry (among other sciences) represent one very large and
obvious group; economics (science fiction, really) is another; and
even the language of dance notation (as described by Edward Tufte in
one of his first two books) is another. The point here is that the
genre is _technical_: it has certain conventions you must understand
and requires certain knowledge and skills before you can work
successfully with the complexity in that genre.

Also note that jargon does not inevitably mean "words chosen so that
only the illuminati will understand or words chosen to make the
speaker sound more important than they really are". That's certainly
one form of jargon; the other kind involves language chosen because
it communicates efficiently among people working within a genre. We
speak here on techwr-l of WinHelp vs. WebHelp vs. HTMLHelp not
because we're trying to exclude anyone (which would be the case if we
were talking to non-techwhirlers) or sound smarter than we really
are, but rather because this jargon communicates effectively. Imagine
if we had to explain the details of what we mean by "help" every time
we talked about anything related!

<<In an age where everyone seem bent on making a blind stab at
defining tech writing as a department and a skillset, it seems to me
very patriotic to repel borders this way.>>

I assume you're being sarcastic, or perhaps just waving the flag
without really thinking it through? Any definition can be carried to
extremes, and that's exactly the wrong point to be making. The right
point to make is that technical communication really is a skillset,
not exclusively "writing in the computer industry". That's an
unnecessarily narrow worldview, and while it might be appropriate for
the specific community that is techwr-l, it's much like the goldfish
circling his tiny bowl and being amazed at how rich and diverse his
world is... particularly that cool little castle. <g>

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/
home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList