RE: Access to software versions: a rant

Subject: RE: Access to software versions: a rant
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:51:05 +0800

Gordon said:
- How you USE software is only learnable if you have access to the
software itself. You can read all the specs in the world but they will
only ever give you how the person who wrote it thinks the software
should be used.

- If you give me access to the software I can learn it and take less
time from the developers when asking them "what if...".

- You need to cover 'non-happy path' usage of the software in the docs
and that only way you get to that is by having the software.

Superb. There are three excellent reasons just for starters.

To *A*ssure the *Q*uality of the docs Carrie needs to know how the
software actually works now--not how it worked last week or how another
document says it should work or will work.

I can't believe a 'head of QA' needs more than ten seconds of
explanation to be convinced of this.

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList