Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:38:03 -0700

I think you will find that the companies that produce bad
documentation, whether by hiring bad writers or by loading
down good writers to the point where the qulity of the
documentation they have time to create is brought down
by the weight of the compromises needed to get it done,
aren't going to give a rat's *ss about what "the profession"
says about their docs as long as their products sell and
their customers aren't grumbling about their docs.

The way we improve documentation quality within our
own company is to have the skills and knowledge to
deliver documentation that is on schedule and meets
the objectives set for it by our management, which
in turn encourages our management to support our
proposals to make what were already delivering
better. Right now I have too much to do to worry
about how to expand that to companies that aren't
paying me.

Gene Kim-Eng