Re: Stupendously learned user

Subject: Re: Stupendously learned user
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:24:08 -0400

Yabbut ...

I'm in the process of writing something for equally stupendously learned
(if not more so) users ... The product manager (and resident tech
commers) all say that it would take three or more years for me to learn
the details of what they're talking about. And after reading a fair
amount, they're being kind - and I'm a quick study!

Perhaps you are going outside the scope of the document.

My audience is people who write very low level applications that
interact directly with DSP processors. For example (one of literally
hundreds), they use assembler code instructions to define and clarify
the edges of images so they look good when shown on a digital projector.
We're talking very technical stuff.

I - or the resident TCs - don't have the time, space, or ability to
explain how to do this. They have to go to school - EE-type engineering
school if not a Master's program - to learn this stuff. We have to
believe they know what they want to do, and more or less how to do it.
What we're doing is showing them the instructions (i.e. Lego building
blocks) they need to use to craft a program together that does what they
want.

So ... maybe your audience needs to learn the basics of what to do
elsewhere.

As a wholly different metaphor: do you still explain to people how to
click and drag a mouse? We used to do it, but we don't any more because
everyone already knows this ... or they go elsewhere to learn it. It
would perhaps benefit 1/100th of 1% of our audience if we did it, but it
would get in the way of the other 99.99%

My 2¢,

John G