RE: Visuals in work instructions: how many is too much?

Subject: RE: Visuals in work instructions: how many is too much?
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "Jim Morgan" <Jim -dot- Morgan -at- jdsu -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:04:34 -0700

Considering that most tech writers are word oriented learners, making
documents with lots of words pleases us. But we're not our audience.

If your audience are visual learners, then you need lots of pictures AND
words. Not just if "the text cannot make the action clear". Visual learners
will go to the picture to make the action clear and then give up. They won't
look at the words, regardless of how well crafted they may be.

Know your audience. If in doubt, support all 4 learning modes. For more
info, see http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting