Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 17:40:30 -0700 (PDT)

<quote>
I certainly don't use the "clueless idiot" or "high-school dropout forklift driver" approach for every encounter with engineers or programmers.
</quote>

Time for a story. :-)

I used to work for a software company (that shall remain nameless) with a strong developer ethic. They hired a whole group of incredibly intelligent writers. They really considered themselves to be developers first (some of them in fact were former developers) and writers second.

They not only considered themselves the technical equal of development, continually proving their own genius, but openly criticized design decisions, including internal implementations with vehemence. They constantly got into arguments with development over technical minutia. And it got personal. When I came on board, development hardly even talked with documentation and wanted as little do with the writers as possible.

I came on board with some other very professional, seasoned writers who took a completely different approach. We made it clear that we weren't there to compete on knowledge or show-up anyone. We couldn't care less about IQ points. We just wanted to get our jobs done and we even "played dumb" at times. It takes guts to sometimes say, "Hey, I don't know." But we also readily defended our documentation design decisions as professionals.

It didn't take long for key developers to figure out that we knew what we were talking about. Sure, we didn't know as much as the other writers who had been there longer, at least at first, but we knew how to ask the right questions. If you ask the right kind of questions, people know whether you are smart or not.

I took great pleasure when a senior architect and a couple of other leading developers told me how much they preferred to work with the new writers. It was a different culture.

By the way, for software, I found one of the easiest, most effective communication techniques is to build a simple demo and run existing and new functionality against it. I'd then go to the developer and say, "Hey, can you give me a hand with this? I'm building this simple demo so I better understand how feature X works and I'm blocked. I'm probably doing something wrong." I play dumb. Most of the time, there's some nasty bug blocking progress and the developers get all over it.

It's amazing how much dialog opens up and the developers genuinely respect you for taking the trouble to walk their baby.

I guess we've wandered a bit from the origins of the thread, but this too is technical communication in the truest sense. ;-)

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle