RE: Indian jobs?

Subject: RE: Indian jobs?
From: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:40:03 -0600

Methinks that it is especially difficult for Westerners to get significant
experience in those countries and I would venture to say that you would
serve yourself best were you to remain where you are (perhaps with another
employer or perhaps in a related but different occupation). Unless, of
course, you have some driving interest (relatives, etc.) that are leading
you to become interested in India.
By staying where you are, you can build on the significant knowledge and
experience that you have developed (which is expensive to develop; companies
pay a lot for that). This further 'building' of your cross-cultural skills
is nothing to be sneezed at.
Me also thinks that the comments that were given by Peter Lewicke (below)
and Geoff Hart (elsewhere in this thread) were good.
Should it work out that you do go to India, be aware that the culture is
quite different and unless you already have a good experience living there
under your belt, you will be a 'newbie' (not unlike your first 1 to 2 years
in China) from the point of view of other expats and the Indians with whom
you will have to get along and learn about.
Should it be that your possible interest in living in India arises out of
simple curiosity and 'wanderlust', my advice would be that you should try to
satisfy this thirst for information by reading books and writings of people
who have been there , first , and see where that leads.
There is a Chinese saying 'shu2 neng2 sheng1 qiao3' (Not sure whether I
got the tones right) which translates as 'practice makes perfect'.

Jim Jones http://tinyurl.com/4arjc