RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: "Ladonna Weeks" <ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com>
To: "'Mike Starr'" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:55:44 -0500

I wasn't objecting, just musing.

When I first started working in IT in the early '80s I used to
tell the programmers to write prompts that their mothers could
understand. That was legitimate then because some people were
having their first interactions with computers. At that time, I
did technical training for customers who bought our product and
about 75% of my students had never used any computer when our
product was introduced. In 25 short years, a huge percentage of
the population has used computers so referring to parents or even
grandparents as examples of naïve users is no longer valid! How
quickly things change these days!

Ladonna Weeks
ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com
314-895-7674