Re: Question about enabling search and retrieval

Subject: Re: Question about enabling search and retrieval
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "Kapoor, Shelly" <SKapoor -at- imf -dot- org>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:49:23 -0500

This implies a bigger potential issue--you need to architect your document storage so you have a way to control it. Lots of documents in all sorts of formats across multiple servers sounds like a migraine in the making...

I have not used Flare yet, but I for a delivery I did last week, I used a relatively inexpensive search engine tool called Search Maker Pro, which creates an html search page and java script to enable full text searching. It indexes all the basic document types, and has an easy method for switching from absolute to relative links, which came in very handy when indexing the data dictionaries. I was able to locate all the documents with the exception of the data dictionaries in one folder, which made it easier to set up, but you are not restricted to a single directory. It's not perfect, but it worked really well for this project and it might be worth looking into for your interim needs.

www.searchmakerpro.com

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney