RE: Freelancing Help

Subject: RE: Freelancing Help
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'David Loveless'" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:04:45 -0700

I've learned a lot about contracts in general by reading through the
contracts at the GSA web site that I discussed yesterday. Reading other
contracts might help you with forming your own.

Depending on how much business you do, you might want to consider, or just
learn about, forming your own corporation or LLC. Having your business be
its own entity helps you get a few tax breaks, plus it protects your
personal assets if you get sued and you formed your entity correctly.
Lawyers and accountants are the best resource for making the "correct"
business decisions.

>From the posts I've read from this forum, including a waiver with your
documents to waive any liability that can be associated with your documents
is also a good idea.

Insurance is apparently good too.

Books:
"Well-Fed Writer" and "Well-Fed Writer Back for Seconds" by Peter Bowerman

The Nolo Press books on LLC and Corporation formation. You might also want
to look at other Nolo Press books for your situation, I'm sure that they
have plenty about contracts. Nolo is a well-respected publisher of
legaleze.

There are many other good books out there, but Peter Bowerman is pretty
trumping them all right now the way I see it. He also provides a very
complete reading list with a selection of books that he claims every writer
must have.

Lauren