RE: Medical Disabilty/Contracting/Jobs

Subject: RE: Medical Disabilty/Contracting/Jobs
From: "Jodie Gilmore" <jgilmor -at- pacifier -dot- com>
To: "'technical writing plus'" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "'Al Geist'" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:00:06 -0700

Hi, guys. Since it was of me that Al asked the question, I guess I should
say whether I was offended or not. I wasn't. Here is my reply to Al, which I
originally sent off-list. But, since other people seem interested...

> Well, actually, it is matter of terminology. "Legally blind" does not
> necessarily mean "completely blind." All completely blind people are
> legally blind, but not all legally blind people are completely blind. See?

>:)
>
> In other words, although I cannot see well enough to drive, or to
> recognize friends at more than a few feet, I can, luckily, see the
> computer screen/books. I have trouble watching software demos, as I can
> only see the computer screen at a distance of a few inches. And I have my
> desk set up "just for me" with my computer screen raised up and my
> keyboard completely out of sight (I can't see it anyway -- I'm an awesome
> touch typist...)
>
> Laptops are useless, because I can't see anything that far away (I'll bet
> you never thought of your lap as "far away".
>
> Hope this makes things little clearer for you.

Now, to address a couple other questions that have come up in the subsequent
discussion:

> How was [were] management concerns overcome?

Thankfully, in my experience, management concerns were negligible. But,
perhaps that is because my disability is not at once noticeable, unless I
trip over something that regularly sighted people can see, or can't find the
door in the vast expanse of plate glass in front of an office building (both
happen often). I've been blessed with good managers, I guess - and teachers,
and parents, and friends, and husband...

> Were co-workers helpful/harmful?

For the most part, just the same as they are with others -- some good, some
bad. Once in a while I've found a person who discounted me, because of my
lack of perfect eyesight, but they usually found out their mistake... ;)

Just for the record, it is pretty hard to "insult" me through "insensitive"
e-mails. I try to keep a good perspective (just not 3-D... hahhahaha), and a
sense of humor. Life goes easier that way.

"See" you around,

Jodie Gilmore
Fulcrum Communications, LLC
Washougal, WA