RE: Medical Disabilty/Contracting/Jobs

Subject: RE: Medical Disabilty/Contracting/Jobs
From: "Rick Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:25:22 -0500

Some federal and state contractors actually seek out the disabled as it
makes their favored worker count higher (vets, too), especially the 8A
firms.
If your skills are very high and you can convince an interviewer of them,
you will probably have to 'kiss a lot of frogs.' I believe enough resumes
w/cover sent out that honestly portray your situation and skills will result
in some responses. That may mean literally thousands of resumes.
I have hired several disabled workers and strive to do so at every
opportunity. We expect to have an opening this fall and will look first and
foremost for a highly skilled writer.
Be sure you list yourself not just on Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, etc.,
but also on your state employment site and regularly search the state and
federal job banks for anything you can do. Once in as a gov't employee, you
can move to your choice position when it becomes available as they generally
hire within before looking outside.
If you are located in Texas or want to come here, I'd be happy to help with
some Texas employer links. Even if you can't register as a resident, some
states allow out-of-staters to search their database.
http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/jobs/ Navy TW opening in Corpus Christi -
up to 90k
http://jobs.irs.gov/careers.html temporary jobs
http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/ 4 jobs up to 77k