Re: QuarkXPress 7 vs Adobe InDesign CS

Subject: Re: QuarkXPress 7 vs Adobe InDesign CS
From: "Raj Machhan" <raj -dot- machhan -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Anne-Marie Concepcion" <mylists -at- senecadesign -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:50:19 +0530

Peter Gold wrote:

Hi, Raj:

Perhaps I was too vague? I was interested in knowing what
considerations guided your choice(s). Those of us who responded to
your inquiry invested our effort for the benefit of all list members,
and those non-members who find these conversations through Internet
searches. Your feedback on how you arrived at a decision would help
complete this valuable information cycle for all in the community.

Hi Peter,

I may have left out some, but following are the main considerations behind
my choice of software for the project:

1. Ease of use

2. Relatively shorter learning curve

3. No unnecessary frills (some of features that I call frills and are not
useful for my project may be a necessity for some other users such as a
Graphic designer. So the use of the term frills is related to kind of job
one wants to do.)

4. Basic image manipulation functionality

5. Quality documentation: User guide, tutorials, exceptional support
services.

6. Less cluttered the interface the better

7. Shadow

9. Transparency

10. Smooth PDF functionality

11. Ability to manipulate an image within the context of the application.

12. Anchored tables

13. Ability to experiment with tables (split, rotate, headers, footers etc
etc)

14. Create and synchronize style sheets

15. Import images and text directly. Import Excel files.

16. Layers and multiple layouts

17. Support for both Print and Web

18. XML (import/export) ability

19. Advanced typesetting features

20. Support for Open Type fonts

Also, the application needs to be stable and should be able to do the job
without any complications. I will be happy to share further information on
the list.

Best regards

Raj