RE: How do you publish your documents, guides or completed help

Subject: RE: How do you publish your documents, guides or completed help
From: <jan -dot- arnopolin -at- thomson -dot- com>
To: <phanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:26:19 -0500

Paul,
We have scheduled releases, about 4 a year, of our software. We have 27
separate products.
It isn't a question of whether or not coworkers "really" want to know
about updated doc. The documentation is updated when there is a change
in the product. They are informed about both at the same time, usually
via a company-wide email sent by my manager who is the product release
manager.
No, I don't distinguish between "little-used" and "frequently-used"
guides. Some products are more important, as determined by product and
client development, and so are likely to have more improvements in each
release than other products.
I don't send out the update notice emails, my manager does. There's
usually 4 or 5 sent out before, during, and shortly after the GA phase
of the release.
I don't save emails. VSS keeps a record of which documents I worked on
and when, my manager reviews each guide before it's published.
I generally send a daily status email to my manager if I haven't seen
her during the day, but not to anyone else.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them offline.
Thanks,
jan

Jan Arnopolin
Technical Writer
Thomson Elite
Phone: 312.873.6784
Fax: 312.873.6801
www.hubbardone.com
jan -dot- arnopolin -at- thomson -dot- com

Hubbard One, a Thomson Elite business

email: phanson at quintrex.com