Delete cell from table in Word?

Subject: Delete cell from table in Word?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Joyce Fetterman <Joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:01:45 -0400

Joyce Fetterman wondered: <<Let's say I have a table in Word, 3
columns by several rows:
Cell1 cell2 cell3
Cell4 cell5 cell6
Cell7 cell8 and so on...
Is it possible to remove cell5, and automatically shift ALL following
cells to eliminate the blank cell?>>

Not sure I understand what you're looking for here: You mean that you
want cell 6 to replace cell5, cell 7 to replace cell 6, and so on? I
can't imagine why you'd want to do that, since tables are generally
used to define "like" objects and group them within the same column.
For example, if the first column is for types of apples and the last
column is for types of oranges, you'd be moving an apple into the
oranges column. Doesn't seem to be a logical way to proceed.

If that's not the case, more details on the nature of the table would
be helpful. I'm not sure why you want to do the move and whether I've
correctly understood what you mean and what the goals are. It's
possible you're solving the wrong problem here, and that the real
solution is to not use a table. <g>

<<I know I can shift the remaining cell(s) within the row, or shift
the cell below, but I want to re-flow the entire table (which will
actually have 20+ rows). And I also want to be able to insert a cell
and "bump" the contents in the other direction.>>

If you mean that you want to keep information within the same row
after inserting and deleting cells, that's easy enough to do: To
delete a cell, simply position the cursor within the cell, open the
Table menu, select Delete, then select Cells. In some cases, you may
want to select a cell and an adjacent cell in the same row, open the
Table menu, and select Merge Cells; conclude by deleting the content
you no longer need from within the merged cell. Similarly, to add a
cell within a row, simply position the cursor in that cell, open the
Table menu, and select Insert, then Cells. In some cases, you might
want to use Split Cells instead; conclude by dragging the existing
content into one of the new cells (if it's in the wrong place) and
adding any missing content to fill the remaining hole. Then grab the
handles of each cell and move it wherever you want until the columns
line up.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList