Re: delete cell from table in Word?

Subject: Re: delete cell from table in Word?
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:40:34 -0500

In some circumstances I've found it easier to either split a cell or merge
two cells. A lot of how I approach it depends on how many problems I'm
having with the table. I haven't done much complex table formatting since v
2000/2001, so perhaps Word has improved it's response to removing cells.

I also think Fred has a very sound suggestion, because Word generally does a
pretty good job of reformatting text to table format, so long as you have
your place holders set up correctly. Very important to proof the new table
though! And I'm not sure how well that approach would work if you were using
the tables for figures, as I've sometimes done.

Regards

Kathleen

On 6/19/07, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> One approach that *should* work as you want is to
> convert the table to text, make the edits while the
> information is just a series of paragraphs or tab-delimited
> chunks (depending on the option you choose when
> converting to text), then convert the text back to a
> table with the required number of columns.
>
> -FR
>

> >From: "Joyce Fetterman" <Joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
> >To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> >Subject: delete cell from table in Word?
> >Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:14:33 -0400
> >

> >Let's say I have a table in Word, 3 columns by several rows:
> >
> >Cell1 cell2 cell3
> >
> >Cell4 cell5 cell6
> >
> >Cell7 cell8 and so on...
> >

> >Is it possible to remove cell5, and automatically shift ALL following
> >cells to eliminate the blank cell? I know I can shift the remaining
> >cell(s) within the row, or shift the cell below, but I want to re-flow
> >the entire table (which will actually have 20+ rows).
> >
> >And I also want to be able to insert a cell and "bump" the contents in
> >the other direction.
> >
> >Is that possible with Word 2003? (on WinXP Pro)?
> >
> >Many thanks.
> >Joyce

> Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN
> http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen.eamd%40gmail.com

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com