Making online reading/editing easier (was Online vs paper-based editing)

Subject: Making online reading/editing easier (was Online vs paper-based editing)
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:31:59 -0500

I'm trying to find a resource I used to have (perhaps supplied from
someone here on techwr-l?). It had to do with changing document colors
to minimize eyestrain. I remember that setting the background color to
a soft, light blue-grayish color reduced strain considerably.

Jean Weber has some good info/links on her site:
http://www.jeanweber.com/news/tenews34.htm

Also:

Turn the brightness and/or contrast on your monitor slightly down from
the default setting, which are brighter than most people really need. It
might be a little weird at first, but you will get used to it, and it'll
be easier on the eyes.

If reading web-based content in Foxfire, you can quickly zoom the text
to larger font sizes by pressing Ctrl and scrolling with the mouse
wheel.

Reduce screen flickering by increasing the monitor refresh rate. Turn
on clear type in XP systems. Use a higher resolution setting - your
eyes will handle smoother, smaller type better than larger, jagged type.

If reviewing in Acrobat, set page view to scrolling pages, fit page
width. I do that on a 19-inch LCD monitor, and it's amazing what you
can catch. It's easy to read, and forces me to concentrate on only a
few sentences at a time.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

-Carla