Re: Writing structured content

Subject: Re: Writing structured content
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gordon:

I have no UK or training connection, but I might add to your google-fu and the general discussion: "minimalism."

Minimalism encompasses structured and single-sourced techniques, but provides a global methodology for dealing with content using those very techniques.

Strictly speaking, a structured or single-sourced approach can be used to build virtually the exact same output as before with the same word count for the customer. If you have a repeat warning note or a reference table that shows up in multiple contexts, you single-source those pieces of information and save a bit on maintenance and translation.

Minimalism, on the other hand, can result in huge word count reductions while increasing customer satisfaction with more focused, relevant, and easy to navigate documentation. If structured documentation with single-sourcing is the theory, then minimalism is the applied science.

I think there is a real risk that structured documentation and single-sourcing methodologies are sometimes being used to essentially pore old wine into new bottles. It makes sense to fundamentally rethink content development technique when moving to structured documentation and single-sourcing systems.

JoAnn Hackos has been delivering a number of courses in the United States that might give you ideas for what to focus on in the UK area.

http://www.comtech-serv.com/workshops/singlesource.shtml

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle