Re: The Mythical Man-Month

Subject: Re: The Mythical Man-Month
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:04:05 +0800

On 6/22/07, jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com <jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com> wrote:

> Richard Lewis wrote:
>

> What really astounds me is how poor the requirements communications process
> is. ...
>
> And if you look at the job advertisements for business analysts, you'll see
> lists of required programming languages and specific software tools. Thus,
> the requirements for the position of business analyst are expressed primarily
> in terms of implementation factors, not analysis and design factors.

This is true for many other jobs as well.

Barring languages right outside the usual paradigm, like APL or Prolog, any
competent programmer should be able to pick up a new language in a few
days or weeks. However, you still see lots of ads that emphasize experience
with Java or whatever over the analytic and design skills that make a really
good programmer.

The same is true in spades for tech writing. Granted, it helps to know
Framemaker if that is the shop's main tool, but any reasonable writer can
pick that up in a short time if need be. What really matters is whether
the person can write, organise information, interact with SMEs in a
useful way, and so on.

--
Sandy Harris
Quanzhou, Fujian, China