Re: assessing a lone-writer gig

Subject: Re: assessing a lone-writer gig
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:56:20 -0700 (PDT)

Mike's point would be my major concern, especially if the company is growing and likely to go international at some point.

I would check if the development team is in love with their documentation and impervious to change, whether they know or care about industry trends like XML and DITA, and what documentation types they have now (or is it a free-for-all).

If the development team is in love with their documentation and it is in fact poor, you will probably have a hard time convincing them to move to something better without pressing business drivers, like localization costs.

In the best case, they let you take the lead and do what you do best as a pro. In the worst case, you get stuck producing docs to current low expectations, which might be okay for some writers, but would drive me bonkers within a week.

I would look first to the growth opportunity. Where there is great risk there is also great reward. If there was no growth opportunity, I would pass.

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle