Re: Writing structured content [recap]

Subject: Re: Writing structured content [recap]
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:37:49 -0500

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Of course the time to design and implement the
database is BEFORE creating the content. Perhaps I should've said something
like "thousands of discrete topics would probably be useless without a
database...". My greater point was that just creating lots and lots of
handily usable chunks of text is a wasted effort without the metadata to
support its use.

However, let me riff on this a little bit. Could it be possible that there's
also a subliminal motive at play whereby we engage in a certain amount of
"job protection"? If we're the only ones who know how to strap on the
content management toolbelt, does that make us less easily replaced?

Large organizations with enormous amounts of content can certainly benefit
greatly from structured content/content reuse. But is it overkill for
smaller businesses where the amount of time and effort required to implement
a solution like this would far outweigh the benefits? The greater the amount
of time we spend analyzing, preparing for and reporting on what we're going
to do, the less time we have available to actually do what we're supposed to
be doing.

Best regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer