Re: designing software tutorials

Subject: Re: designing software tutorials
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

In addition to what others have posted, I might add a curriculum and documentation development methodology I've always found garners superb results: work backwards.

Initially, forget about the product, features, and the UI. Focus on the end results that the customer produces using your tools. There are undoubtedly certain cases or types of applications (or whatever) that your customers develop more than others. What's hot right now? What are your customers demanding?

Once you know what your customers are building (or will build) with your tools, identify the major categories of output, divide up the curriculum, and then methodically show them how to build the things they want. The examples and demos built into the tutorials don't even have to be all that sophisticated. Just show them the basics so they get up and running fast.

I've used this "backward" approach at Borland and Microsoft in the past with some pretty sophisticated tools. It works. It also tends to focus the training, eliminating interesting but potentially irrelevant tangents. Just show your customers how to build what they want to build. Forget about everything else. They'll love you for it.

Once you have a core set of courses, you can then add more sophisticated training that works off you foundation, but still based on customer direction and feedback.

I find if you truly put the customer first and figure out what they're producing with your software tools, the training approach sorts itself out.

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle