Re: "face time" at the office

Subject: Re: "face time" at the office
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:11 -0700

A 1099 client cannot dictate when, where or how a
contractor performs work, only deadlines and
deliverables. If a client or contractor fail to
maintain this relationship, the IRS and state
employment agencies may reclassify the contractor
from independent contractor to employee. For
the contractor, this means loss of self-employment
tax deductions. For the client, this means requirement
to withold federal and state taxes, social security
(both employer and employee payments) disability,
etc. There are also various federal and state penalties
imposed on employers that violate the contractor
rules.

Gene Kim-Eng