Re: Nuts. Was: How about Keeping the List Civil? Was: Employmentquestion

Subject: Re: Nuts. Was: How about Keeping the List Civil? Was: Employmentquestion
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:01:42 -0700

I can't speak for anyone else on this (a lot of tech writers I know
seem to have some sort of martyr complex about their place in the
world and I don't want to interfere with what works for them), but
if I thought my work was undervalued, that I was thought of as an
overpaid anything or that I wasn't being compensated adequately
for what I do, I'd be in another line of work. Looking back on
the totality of my work history as a design and test engineer and
then as a technical writer/publications manager, I believe that I
bring in a higher income, have advanced further in the various
companies I have worked for/with, and seem to have a lot more
people calling on me for my advice and appearing to think
reasonably highly of my opinions than I would have had if I had
continued working as an engineer. YMMV, but I have never
had a moment when I thought that maybe I was "nuts" for having
changed careers.

As for the part about working with people who don't have a
clue, doesn't everybody?

Gene Kim-Eng