RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)

Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:51:01 -0500

This whole debate rests on the assumption that a 40-hour work week is somehow the golden measure. It's actually a relatively recent phenomenom and not a particularly helpful predictor of efficiency OR effective organizational managment. I've worked in places where 35 hours was standard, places where 37.5 was the wage base, places where it was 40 or 45. No matter where you are, some are going to focus on the hours worked, some will focus on the quality and some on the quantity of the work produced. The ability of the organization to balance the bottom line with worker and customer satisfaction should be the goal, but often is not.... that is how the working life goes... don't believe me, just ask Dilbert ;-)

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney